For Immediate Release
Friday, July 5, 2019
WINNIPEG – Manitoba Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont says that a Manitoba Liberal Government will restore the 50/50 funding agreement and tap into more than $500-million in dedicated federal funding to improve transit systems that the Pallister Government has left on the table.
Earlier this year, it was revealed the PCs left over $1.1-billion in federal infrastructure funding on the table for more than a year — including over $500-million earmarked for transit.
The Pallister Government also froze public transit operating funding in 2016, cancelled the 50/50 cost sharing for transit, and has refused to share cannabis revenue intended for municipalities.
The result has been reduced services in Brandon and increased fares in Winnipeg, even as municipalities are trying to keep up with greater demand for more sustainable and accessible public transit systems.
“Investing in better transit is about giving people greater choice, mobility, independence, and it’s also good for the environment,” said Lamont. “We are committed to working in partnership with municipalities to build something together that works and which has been broken under the current government.”